China’s top public health commission said early Tuesday that the death toll from an outbreak of a new type of coronavirus has passed 100.
In a statement, the National Health Commission updated the death toll from the outbreak to 106, up from 81 announced just a day earlier.
The news comes as China’s government has implemented steps to control the outbreak nationwide, including banning some public gatherings and expanding the Lunar New Year holiday in hopes of keeping its residents home.
“In order to control the epidemic, protect people’s lives and health, reduce the mass gathering and ensure people to have a harmonious and peaceful Spring Festival, it is decided to cancel all the large-scale events, including temple fairs, in Beijing as of today,” said the Beijing Culture and Tourism Bureau last week.
Individual cities in China have also taken other actions; officials in Shanghai ordered the closing of stadiums and the shuttering of public religious events amid the outbreak.
A handful of cases have been reported in the U.S. as well, and officials have moved to direct flights from affected areas to selected airports for health screenings.