Five cases of measles were confirmed in Los Angeles County on Wednesday, with the local Department of Public Health warning that the local outbreak included four residents and an “unimmunized, international visitor.”
The department listed 33 public places where that confirmed case was known to have been between Jan. 26 and Sunday.
“Unimmunized persons or those with unknown immunization status who were at these sites during the dates and times listed above are at risk of developing measles from 7 to 21 days after being exposed,” it said. “Individuals who have been free of symptoms for more than 21 days are no longer at risk.”
“For those who are not protected, measles is a highly contagious and potentially severe disease that initially causes fever, cough, red, watery eyes, and, finally, a rash,” Los Angeles County health officer Muntu Davis said in a statement. “Measles is spread by air and by direct contact even before you know have it. The [measles, mumps, rubella] immunization is a very effective measure to protect yourself and to prevent the unintentional spread of this potentially serious infection to others.”
The health department recommended that anyone who had been in the listed locations during the timeframe review their immunization records and contact a health care provider as soon as possible about possible exposure if they are pregnant or immunocompromised.
The county saw 20 measles cases in 2019 as well as 14 cases involving nonresidents who traveled through the county, with the majority of people affected either not immunized or unaware of whether they were immunized.