Iran: US cyberattacks unsuccessful

An Iranian official said Monday that U.S. cyberattacks on Tehran’s military were unsuccessful.

“They try hard, but have not carried out a successful attack,” Mohammad Javad Azari Jahromi, Iran’s minister for information and communications technology, said on Twitter, according to Reuters.

“Media asked if the claimed cyberattacks against Iran are true,” he said. “Last year we neutralized 33 million attacks with the [national] firewall.”

ADVERTISEMENT

The denial comes after multiple American media outlets reported that the U.S. had launched cyber operations against Iran as tensions between the two countries rise.

Yahoo News reported Friday that Cyber Command launched a retaliatory digital strike against an Iranian spy group that the U.S. claims was involved in the bombing of two oil tankers.

The Washington Post said on Saturday that separate cyber strikes had disabled Iranian rocket launch systems.

Cyber Command did not immediately respond to a request for comment on Jahromi’s remarks.

Tensions between the U.S. and Iran have skyrocketed following the downing of an American surveillance drone. The two countries differ on where the drone was.

 on Friday confirmed that the U.S. military was “cocked and loaded” to retaliate against Iran after the drone incident, but backed off at the last minute.

The U.S. also accused Tehran of bombing two foreign oil tankers in the Gulf of Oman. Iran denied any involvement.

Written by Alan Smith

Alan Smith

Get the latest news about usa and world wild and real people. Catch up on the latest U.S. news, stories, photos, and videos. Including local news, political coverage, and more., on info-ideal.com