Megan Rapinoe says USWNT ready to ‘block out’ distractions around White House controversy

U.S. women’s national soccer team star Megan Rapinoe said Monday that the team is blocking any outside distractions as its semifinal match against England on Tuesday approaches.

When asked about the controversy over her rejection of a possible invite to the White House, Rapinoe, alongside teammate Kelley O’Hara, told “Good Morning America” host Robin Roberts that the team is focused on the upcoming match.

ADVERTISEMENT

“To be honest I think to be on this team is to understand how to deal with and withstand distraction and pressure of any magnitude, whether it’s large or small,” she said. “Within the group we have a great ability to stay together and block out those distractions when the time comes.”

Rapinoe said it is actually “hard not to be focused” on what she called the “monumental task at hand” of trying to repeat as World Cup champions.

Rapinoe was the subject of scorn from last week after video was released of her saying she’s “not going to the f—ing White House” if the U.S. women’s national team wins the World Cup.

Trump responded in a tweet, saying that he is a “big fan of the American Team, and Women’s Soccer” but “Megan should WIN first before she TALKS! Finish the job!”

Rapinoe, who later said she stood by her comments, and the team will instead likely visit Congress after Rep. (D-N.Y.) extended an invite.

The team is set to take on England in the semifinals Tuesday for the right to play in the World Cup Final Sunday and a chance to repeat for the U.S. side.

0/5 (0 Reviews)

Written by Alan Smith

Alan Smith

Get the latest news about usa and world wild and real people. Catch up on the latest U.S. news, stories, photos, and videos. Including local news, political coverage, and more., on info-ideal.com