House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) reportedly appealed to President Donald Trump in a phone call Friday to call off raids slated for the weekend by Immigration and Customs Enforcement on undocumented immigrant families ― which Trump did on Saturday.
Trump told Pelosi he would consider her request, a source told The Associated Press, and then he announced Saturday afternoon in a tweet that at “the request of Democrats” he would have ICE hold off the raids for two weeks.
Pelosi responded that Trump’s delay was “welcome,” and that “time was needed for immigration reform.”
Earlier in the day, before Trump announced the delay, Pelosi had call the planned action “heartless” and “brutal.”
“These families are hard-working members of our communities and our country,” she said in a statement. “The president’s action makes no distinction between [an immigrant] status violation and committing a serious crime.”
The raids had been planned to begin before dawn Sunday. ICE would have targeted some 2,000 families who received deportation orders in Miami, Los Angeles, Chicago and Houston, among other cities, sources told The Washington Post.