Senior administration officials told the news outlet that Trump is trying to find a workaround after a Supreme Court ruling that initially led the Department of Justice to drop the question from the census materials.
“We didn’t come this far just to throw in the towel,” one senior administration official told Axios.
However, not all officials within the administration are confident an executive order would succeed, Axios reports.
The Hill has reached out to the White House for comment.
Trump tweeted Thursday morning that his administration is working “very hard on this, even on the 4th of July!”
Judge George Hazel, an Obama appointee overseeing the federal lawsuit in Maryland, said Wednesday he ordered a 2 p.m. Friday deadline after seeing Trump’s tweet earlier in the day suggesting his administration was still considering the question.
The Supreme Court overturned the Trump administration’s push to add the question last week.